I did FOUR layers in this 3 Quart ‘pot in pot’ method of lasagna. I used package sheet noodles. Next time I’ll try home made and will roll them for something different. For IP lasagna, I think I’d go with more filling and one less layer of the sheets. All in all it was very good. Nice to be able to make a lessor amount and not have an entire huge pan left over. I did everything in the IP from pressure cooking the meat to sauteeing the vegetables. I made the meat sauce in the pot. The only drawback here was having to rinse the pot out before I added the one cup of water to pressure cook the lasagna. (That took seconds, so I shouldn’t complain!!)
While I was sauting the onions and peppers, I added some fennel seed, about 1/2 teaspoon and some Greek oregano, salt and pepper and crushed garlic cloves. I added beef broth to deglaze the pan. I loosely followed this recipe. Would I make it again? Yes.
• 8 (160g – 200g) oven-ready lasagna noodles
• 2 cups (150g – 180g) Mozzarella cheese , shredded in large pieces
• ¼ cup (30g – 40g) Parmesan cheese , grated
• 2.5 – 3 cups (600g – 750g) meat sauce
• Salt + pepper to taste
Ricotta Cheese Mixture
• ¾ cup (200g) Ricotta cheese
• 1 teaspoon (1g) Italian seasoning
• 1 large egg
• ⅓ teaspoon kosher salt
• Create Ricotta Cheese Mixture: In a mixing bowl, beat one large egg, then add in ¾ cup (200g) Ricotta cheese. Season with 1 tsp (1g) Italian seasoning, ground black pepper, and ⅓ tsp kosher salt.
• Assemble Instant Pot Lasagna: Line a 7-inch springform pan with cut-out parchment paper (optional). Break the uncooked oven-ready lasagna noodles into smaller pieces, then layer them at bottom of the pan in a single layer. Layer ⅓ portion of the meat sauce on the lasagna noodles. Layer Ricotta cheese mixture on the meat sauce, then add shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat this layering cycle twice. Add ¼ cup (30g – 40g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese on the very top. Then, wrap the springform pan tightly with aluminum foil.
• Pressure Cook Lasagna: Pour 1 cup (250ml) cold water, then place a trivet in Instant Pot. Create a sling foil, then place springform pan in Instant Pot. Close lid, then pressure cook at High Pressure for 24 minutes + 10 minutes Natural Release.
• Optional Broil Lasagna: Preheat oven to 425°F when Instant Pot is natural releasing. Place the cooked lasagna in a 425°F oven until the cheese is browned on top (~7 – 9 mins).
• Serve: For an easier release, use a paring knife to gently release the Lasagna from the springform pan. Slice the glorious lasagna and serve immediately